Who should attend
This is an intermediate course for individuals who manage data sets using IDCAMS and VSAM.
You should complete:
- z/OS Facilities (ES15)
- z/OS Job Control Language and Utilities (ES07) or
- Fundamental System Skills in z/OS (ES10)
- or have equivalent experience
This course is designed to teach how to manage VSAM and non-VSAM data sets by coding and using the functions and features of the Access Method Services program, IDCAMS.
To reinforce the lecture material, machine exercises are provided that enable students to code and test selected IDCAMS commands such as DEFINE, REPRO, ALTER, and LISTCAT.
Learn to manage Virtual Storage Access Method (VSAM) and non-VSAM data sets. Particularly emphasize coding and using the functions of the IDCAMS program. Lab exercises enable you to code and test selected IDCAMS commands, such as DEFINE, REPRO, ALTER, and LISTCAT.
Eight labs are included to address:
- IDCAMS commands, including ALTER, DEFINE, CLUSTER, EXPORT, IMPORT, EXAMINE, LISTCAT, REPRO, and PRINT
- tuning VSAM and the VSAM buffers
- alternate indexes