HP Data Protector 9.x Essentials (DP120)
This course provides the essential knowledge to enable storage administrators to configure and manage HP Data Protector software. The hands-on lab exercises re-enforce the theory sessions to ensure a thorough understanding of backup and recovery concepts, the functionality of the software and its application to typical storage implementations.
Who should attend
Storage and system administrators using HP Data Protector Software.
System and Network Administration or equivalent experience.
- Install and distribute HP Data Protector software in your environment.
- Configure the HP Data Protector software product.
- Configure your Tape and Disk based Backup solutions for use with HP Data Protector software.
- Use HP Data Protector software product to backup, restore, and monitor from the GUI and command line.
- Manage the HP Data Protector software Internal Database.
- Create custom reports and notification procedures.
1. Course Introduction
2. HP IM Data Protection-Product Overview
3. HP Data Protector Architecture
- Backup Models
- Backup and Replication Methods
- The Cell Concept
- Data Protector Architecture
- Cell Manager and Installation Server
- Disk, Media and Integration Agents
- Internal Database
- Typical Data Protector session
- Data Protector tuning
4. Licensing and Product Structure
- Data Protector licensing
- Product Structure overview
- License Reporting and checking
5. Quick Start
- Concept: General Backup
- Concept Backup Specification
- Configure Media Pool and Device
- Configure and run a Backup
- Monitor the Backup session
- Start a Restore
- Run a Single Session Report
6. HP Data Protector Software Installation
- Installation Overview, Planning and Methods
- Cell Manager Installation on Windows
- Cell Manager Installation on Unix
- Client Push Installation
- Export and Import of Clients
- Adding Components to Clients
- Upgrade Overview
- Supported Upgrade Paths
- Upgrading a Windows Cell Manager
- Upgrading a Unix Cell Manager
- Migrating the Cell Manager to a different platform
8. Media Management
- Media Pool concept
- Media Pool Properties
- Creating a Media Pool
- Free Pool Concept and Implementation
- Medium properties
- Location Tracking and Priority
- Formatting Tape Media
- Vaulting with Media Pools
9. Backup Device
- Physical and Virtual Tape Libraries
- Data Protector File Library
- Data Protector Tape Format
- Logical Devices
- Single and Multipath Devices
- Device and Library Tools
- Performing Backups
- Backup Specification Types
- Backup Features
- Static and Dynamic Device Allocation
- Load Balancing-Object Allocation
- Backup Mirroring
- Creating a Backup Specification
- The Backup Process Flow
- Scheduler Overview
- Using the Basic Scheduler
- Using the Advanced Scheduler