Symmetrix VMAX Performance Workshop (MR-1CP-SPERET)
Who should attend
This course is intended for anyone responsible for operating, maintaining, and optimizing the performance of a Symmetrix storage environment.
To understand the content and successfully complete this course, a student must have a suitable knowledgebase/skill set. The student must have an understanding of basic Symmetrix DMX and V-Max architecture and the use of ControlCenter Performance Manager. It is also helpful to have some experience with the performance monitoring tools used in the class: Performance Manager and Symmetrix Performance Analyzer. A list of specific prerequisite courses can be found in EMC Education Services Learning Management System
This course analyzes the performance of Symmetrix DMX and V-Max-series arrays using ControlCenter Performance Manager v6.1 and Symmetrix Performance Analyzer v1.1. Through extensive discussion of Symmetrix architecture, you will learn how data is processed by each component and which workload characteristics produce the highest levels of performance. You will learn how to effectively utilize the Symmetrix performance features when planning for new or migrated workloads. Features that make tiered storage possible are covered. Using Performance Manager measures, you will be able to view the effects of workload imbalance, over utilization, cache saturation, and data misalignment.
Although much of the class time is spent in lecture and discussion, several lab exercises using recorded performance archives are included. These exercises examine the archive to detect performance issues and make recommendations for improvement. You are encouraged to bring performance archives from your actual environment to analyze during the class.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Relate knowledge of the Symmetrix architecture and I/O handling processes to their performance benefits
- Use key Performance Manager metrics to identify performance bottlenecks and over utilization
- Make performance-oriented recommendations when allocating new storage or migrating applications
These modules are designed to support the course objectives. The following modules are included in this course:
- Symmetrix Front-End
- Symmetrix Cache
- Symmetrix Back-End
- Business Continuance
Labs reinforce the information you have been taught. The labs for this course include:
- Tools: Review of Symmetrix performance monitoring
- Symmetrix Front-End: Guided and open performance archive analysis
- Symmetrix Cache: Guided and open performance archive analysis
- Symmetrix Back-End: Guided and open performance archive analysis
- Business Continuance: Local and remote replication performance effects
Assessments validate that you have learned the knowledge or skills presented during a learning experience. This course includes in-class discussions and instructor review of labs.
Currently there are no training dates scheduled for this course. Enquire a date